Revitalizing the Robinson Alumni Association (RAA) is central to our 115th Anniversary celebrations, particularly the All-Class Alumni Weekend planned for the end of June 2017. Over the next year, we will be highlighting some of the great work accomplished by the Robinson’s Alumni Association. This call to action asks you, our alumni, to help define our future goals. We want to create an organization that is mutually beneficial to Robinson and you. For that, we need your input!
The Robinson Alumni Association was officially incorporated in 1990. Motivated by their gratitude and moved by fond memories of their school days at Robinson School, alumni from the classes of the 1960s and 1970s decided to make the Alumni Association a priority. Their goals were clear and those goals remain constant, although we want to expand what we have to offer our alumni community. The RAA aims to:
- Reestablish contact with former students. This exciting challenge will hopefully reveal how Robinson School has significantly impacted the successful careers of its distinguished graduates. We want to know where your Robinson education has taken you. We’re so proud of our alumni accomplishments that we want share those achievements with our current community and the public.
- Coordinate social activities both on and off the island to encourage all kinds of formal and informal alumni reunions across classes and decades. The Class of 1965 25th Reunion in 1990 kicked off these efforts and shaped RAA goals. Last year, they celebrated their 50th Reunion spectacularly! Typically, reunions at Robinson include a Welcome Back Party on the Friday night when alumni return to Robinson for their reunion weekend and a Sunday Brunch & Tour. That said, our resourceful alumni have also organized reunions in the US and expanded them to include alumni from the entire decade. In 2014, alumni coordinated a 1970s All Class Reunion in Florida. They invited Robinson and, luckily, our Head of School was able to join them! This year, alumni from the 1960s will do the same. Also this year, the Class of 1971 will celebrate their 45th Reunion with us, and we couldn’t be happier to host them. We are grateful for that Hawks spirit and perseverance that keeps bringing us together year after year. We also want to thank the alumni who give of their time to coordinate these special event and keep Robinson in their hearts.
- Help alumni make significant contributions to the school through fundraising, volunteering, in-kind donations, event sponsorship or any other way we can come up with to give back to Robinson as alumni. The RAA sponsored a Gala Premier of the opera Madame Butterfly in 1992 for Robinson’s 90th Anniversary celebration. By our 100th Anniversary in 2002, the RAA had contributed nearly $60,000 in improvements and equipment to Robinson School! In 2004, Robinson School dedicated Alumni Circle—our main entrance rotunda and fountain—to the Robinson Alumni Association and the Harvey Foundation for their contributions to the 100th Anniversary celebration. Over the years, class and individual donations have continued to bring much needed support to Robinson in a variety of ways. For this, we are very grateful; and we’ll be sharing how alumni have helped Robinson grow over the years in future newsletters.
Robinson understands that the economic climate has changed and many of us face challenges. That said, time, expertise and affection are priceless. Beyond just fundraising, we want to build an alumni network that helps bear the burden of these trying times by serving as a potential platform for mentorship, career advice, customers, clients and any other connection that might benefit our alumni and Puerto Rico.
As we revitalize our alumni association, we want to hear from you. This is our call to action. Tell us how the Robinson School Alumni Association can best serve your interests and needs as alumni.
Please take some time to reflect on the following questions:
- What would you like from an alumni association?
- Why do you think an alumni association is important?
- What do you think the goals and objectives of the association should be?
- What kinds of services would you like the alumni association to provide, including alumni events and networking?
Call or write Rebecca Sumner, Development & Alumni Relations Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 787-999-4600, ext. 4646 with your thoughts, ideas, suggestions and, yes, even critiques. We want to build a sustainable Robinson Alumni Association that serves alumni and strengthens our culture of philanthropy, as it contributes to our enduring institutional excellence in academics and community initiatives. We hope you remember Robinson as a giving place and a place to call home. Please give back in any way you feel comfortable and come home! We’re here—as we have been for the past 114 years— waiting for you with open arms.
We look forward to hearing from you!