Robinson school had a vision that teachers could move around the classroom while using technology to enhance their classes by making them completely interactive. Thanks to Microsoft and our IT Department, this vision is now not only true but earned us the respected title of a Microsoft Showcase School.
Microsoft Showcase Schools are premier schools that show leadership by demonstrating a strong vision for educational change. These school leaders create innovative learning environments, assisted through the use of technology, driving innovation within the school.
The people behind this recognition, our school’s IT Department, explains more in-depth why Robinson School was chosen.
Emmanuel Bonilla: IT Coordinator
Viviane Fournier: Educational Technologist
Jeffrey De Jesús: IT Technician
“Students and teachers are engaged anytime anywhere”
- All teachers have a SurfacePro (a Microsoft tablet that functions as a computer and seamlessly connects with all Microsoft programs).
- The school provides an office 365 online profile for both teacher and students, which allows them to share presentations, essays, etc.
- OneNote, a social media platform, is available for teachers and students.
- We practice blended learning: Mixing online learning with present classroom learning. Theory is studied online with the materials teachers provide and the classroom is open to hands-on active learning.
- College interviews are conducted via Skype
- The school has an app called Plus Portal with each student’s academic program. Parents have access to the Parents’ Plus Portal to stay up to date with their child’s academic progress. Students can download the app Student Plus Portal to access the same information.
“Technology is always integrated in our classrooms”
- Design software is installed into our computer labs so students have the opportunity to learn about video editing, graphic design, sculpture design for 3d printing, game software design, app software design and open source software design.
- We are eco-friendly. Students are encouraged to switch their paper notebooks to digital notebooks, this way students can also share their notes, photos and ideas more easily with their peers.
- Technology tools are implemented from PPK to 12th grade with teacher training always available.
- We do Skype live transmissions with book authors. (link)
- Students from 7th to 12th grade bring their own devices and use Office Mix to interact with teachers on the classroom (for example by taking part of a live presentation on our touchscreen projectors by participating in real-time polls).
As one of the best schools in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean, Robinson School aims to be an example of 21st century education and technology implementation in the classroom. Technology provides an international learning environment that aligns with our International Baccalaureate vision, which is grounded in real-life knowledge, problem-solving and global connections. Congratulations are in order to our IT Department for this great achievement. For more information about Showcase Schools, click here.