As students approach the end of their high school years, it is vital that they focus their thoughts on what they will do after graduation. Here, you will find information about college planning and the steps needed to complete the process leading to graduation. Please ask the College Counselor for additional assistance with carrying out the important tasks necessary to graduate successfully and to put in place the best possible plan for their transition to postsecondary education and, ultimately, their career.
What Colleges Look For
• High School curriculum that challenges the student.
• Grades that represent strong effort and an upward trend.
• Solid scores on standardized tests.
• Passionate involvement in a few activities.
• Community service.
• Work or out of school experiences.
• A well written essay that provides insight into the student´s unique personality
• Letters of recommendations.
• Anything special that makes the student stand out from the rest of the applicants
What Students Should Ask Themselves when Choosing a College
• Where do I want my college to be?
-City, Rural, Mid Atlantic.
• What schools have the programs I want?
• What size college do I want to attend?.
-Small, Medium, Large
• Where would I feel at home and comfortable?
• How about the costs at a certain college?
• Does a certain college meet my special needs?
• What are my chances for admissions to a particular college?
• Other considerations include:
-Support services, housing, campus safety, class size